Missing . . . Edendale man John Macgregor has been missing for 24 days. PHOTO: SUPPLIED BY ALLISTER MACGREGOR

John Macgregor has been missing for 24 days and his family just wants to bring him home.

Mr Macgregor was last seen on CCTV footage leaving his Edendale home at 1.11am on July 21 wearing a dark multicoloured knee-length dressing gown.

His car was found stuck at the side of Wyndham Rd, on the outskirts of Mataura.

His younger brother Allister Macgregor said it was clear his brother had tried to move the car from the side of road after it became stuck.

”He’s attempted to get the car out of the mud, obviously, but we are unsure where he was going.

”It was a back road that he used a lot. He always went on the back roads – he’s just that sort of person,” he said.

”It was the night of the Argentina [versus All Blacks] test, so there was some traffic on that road.”

Another car crashed on the same road but it was not his brother’s car, he said.

His vehicle had now been removed from the area.

John Macgregor had not been seen since that time.

His bank accounts had not been touched and nobody had heard a word from him.

”We’ve had no information, which is surprising.”

Police had conducted multiple searches of the area alongside Land Search and Rescue [LandSAR].

”Police have done three tandem searches, including the Mataura River and all the way to Fortrose.

”It’s a huge search.”

Last Tuesday, a three-hour helicopter search of land and water was completed.

The effort undertaken by police and LandSAR was phenomenal, Mr Macgregor said.

”The police and search and rescue have been magnificent.

”We’re very humbled by it all. They’ve been fantastic and there have been huge efforts that have gone in to finding him.”

Leading up to his disappearance, John had had a few ”medical problems” and he (Allister) had been living with him.

Their sister, Anne Hurst, had since travelled to Edendale to assist with the search.

John Macgregor grew up on a farm in Edendale before moving away to become a policeman and accountant.

The 72-year-old had been back in Edendale for about 30 years.

The family urged anybody with any information to get in touch.

”We’re open to any ideas at all on where he could be and information.”

While it was a remote option, the family could not rule out the possibility he had been picked up by another car and was now in another location, he said.

Sergeant Hua Tamariki, of Gore, said searches had been completed but further searches were on hold because of bad weather.

Police were awaiting the arrival of cadaver dogs to assist in the search.

Sgt Tamariki encouraged members of the community to contact police with any information they might have regarding the disappearance.

The police can be contacted on (03)203-907 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800555-111.Sport mediaNike air max