Faulty flue blamed for Gore house fire

SHARE

SIMON.KNYVETT

@theensign.co.nz

A house fire in Pomona St is not being treated as suspicious after findings from Fire Investigator Mike Cahill.
The fire was the result of “a fault in the chimney flue” which has failed to contain the fire, Mr Cahill said.

Substantial damage . . . Findings from Invercargill Fire Investigator Mike Cahill found the fire’s origins
were the result of a fault in the chimney flue.

Gore Volunteer Fire Brigade were called to the fire after a report by member of the public who discovered a glow in the sky at 2.30am.

Chief Fire Officer Steve Lee said the unoccupied building, was well alight upon the arrival of the brigade.
“The flames and heat were threatening a neighbouring house, shed and hedge,” Mr Lee said.

Gore Volunteer Fire Brigade then requested assistance from Mataura Fire Brigade who responded.

Burnt out . . . A Pomona St house fire leaves the inside of the house looking pitch black on the inside.

“We were fortunate to have the Mataura Brigade assist us at the scene,” he said.
It took about one hour and a half to bring the fire under control, with 37 firefighters and six units at the site, Mr Lee said.

“Neighbouring houses in the area were also evacuated due to smoke,” he said.

Mr Lee thanked the member of the public who reported the fire.

“We were able to contain the damage to the building of the fires origin thanks to the member of the public’s notification.”
“As a chief fire officer any concern regarding a fire at any stage please don’t hesitate to call 111 and get a fire brigade to respond,” he said.